Saturday 11 September 2010

The joy of imagination.



Last week I was on holiday in the East country county of Northfolk. Whilst I was there I went to visit two beautiful castles. Now, I don't know what it is, but there is just something about castles that pulls me in and I can't help but imagine! Dream of reasons why they were built. For a love? To defend the land in battle? Who would have lived in the castle? What they would have worn? What kind of feasts and festivities they had?
I even imagine what kind of life the servants would have had. What kind of daily duties they had. The tragic tales or woe and the loss of loved ones!

I can't help but get carried away and dream of all the stories that may have happened or things that really did happen. I enjoyed walking around learning about a totally different way of life. I was taken in all the wonders of the castle. I even wonder about the hard sweaty labour of how they built such a large, heavy building without all the modern technology that we have today such as cranes?

I just want to take a moment to reflect on how great our imaginations are. How great it is to just float away into fantasy worlds that we create and characters they we control - moulding a destiny for each and everyone of them. Hours can pass without me even knowing sometimes................. It's when I open my eyes and face the real world that the problems start.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post, and I often used to get told off at school for having my head in the clouds! Sometimes it used to be a problem for me though and actually still can be - I have an over-reactive imagination, I tell ya I am hard pushed to watch a horror these days!!

    More people should use their imaginations nowadays, we might just be happier people all around if we all did once in a while!

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I would love to hear from you.